Monday, November 10, 2008

Tuna (or Chicken) Salad #1

The problem with traditional tuna salad and chicken salad is mayonnaise. Mayonnaise has too much fat, is an invitation to food poisoning in the summer, and a lot people just don't like it. I have found that substituting really, really ripe but not over ripe avocados works really well.

Avocados can be mashed with a fork for a more chunky texture. Or with a potato masher or even an electric mixture if a puree is desired.

Tuna Salad #1 substitutes avocados for mayonnaise, if so desired a tablespoon or so of a flavorful salad dressing might be added. By "flavorful" I mean some of the more exotic combinations like "Orange Ginger" or something with Lime. My wife, however, prefers the salad without salad dressing.

I am not giving measurements for this recipe because it is really a substitution. But I use 3 or 4 very ripe Hass avocados for a 6 oz. can of tuna and a tablespoon or so of salad dressing. Then one can use one's desired recipe and ingredients.

NOTE: Adding lime juice will keep the avocados from turning an unpleasant dark color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.